In this series of updates on the history of each Pac-12 men’s hoops program, we provide a brief coaching summary, list of the current coaches, along with postseason results, conference titles, award winners, and all-time coaching records.Arizona State began playing intercollegiate basketball in 1911 under C.W. Adams, who compiled an 11-5 record over two seasons.
The Sun Devils have made 16 NCAA Tournament appearances, including three Elite Eights (in 1961, 1963, 1975).
ASU has also won eight conference championships (four WAC, and four Border Conference), finishing in the final AP rankings seven times while producing 38 NBA Draft picks.
All eight conference titles came under Ned Wulk, who was hired in 1957 and took the Sun Devils to nine NCAA Tournament appearances and all three Elite Eights.
Wulk was named the Pac-10 Coach of the Year in 1980 and led Arizona State to its highest-ever national ranking at No. 3 in 1981. He posted a 406-272 in 25 years over three different conferences.
Bill Frieder was hired away from Michigan in 1989 after assembling and coaching the Fab-Five team that would go on to win a National Title without him.
Frieder took the Sun Devils to the postseason in his first six years, including two NCAA Tournaments. He resigned in 1997 following a point-shaving scandal with a record of 130-107.
Herb Sendek coached ASU for nine seasons, from 2006 to 2015, recruiting James Harden, and taking the Sun Devils to the Big Dance twice, while compiling a record of 159-137.
Current coach Bobby Hurley was hired in 2015 and received a contract extension in 2019 worth $2.5 million per year. He has taken the Devils to two-straight NCAA Tournaments (in 2018 and 2019).
Hurley, who gained notoriety in his first conference game by getting ejected after two technical fouls in 15 seconds for arguing with the officials against Arizona, has posted a record of 118-100.
Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ)
Desert Financial Arena
Current Coaching Staff
Assistant: Joel Justus (2021-present)
Assistant: Jermaine Kimbrough (2021-present)
Assistant: George Aramide (2021-present)
Director of Player Development: Brandon Rosenthal (2019-present)
Recruiting: Brady Kennedy (2021-present)
Director of Basketball Operations: Jake Sweeney (2021-present)
Final Four Appearances: 0
Sweet Sixteen Appearances: 4 (1961, 1963, 1973, 1975) **
NCAA Tournament Appearances: 15 (1958, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1973, 1975, 1980, 1981, 1991, 2003, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019) **
NCAA Tournament Overall Record: 12-16 **
NIT Championships: 0
NIT Appearances: 13 (1983, 1990, 1992, 1993, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015)
NIT Overall Record: 7-13
NCIT Tournament Appearances: 1 (1974)
NCIT Overall Record: 0-1
NAIA Tournament Appearances: 2 (1948, 1953)
NAIA Overall Record: 2-2
Conference Titles (BIAA, WAC, Pac-12)
WAC Regular Season Championships: 4 (1963, 1964, 1973, 1975)
Border Regular Season Championships: 4 (1958, 1959, 1961, 1962)
Pac-12 Tournament Championships: 0
Annual Award Winners
John R. Wooden Award: 0
Oscar Robertson Trophy: 0
AP All-Americans: 3 (James Harden, 2009; Ike Diogu, 2005; Lionel Hollins, 1975)
Pac-12 Player of the Year: 3 (James Harden, 2009; Ike Diogu, 2005; Eddie House, 2000)
Arizona State Head Coaching Records
|Bob Schermerhorn (int)||1989||2-7||0||0||0|
—More from Publisher—
- Arizona Wildcats Men’s Hoops History Update
- Cal Bears Men’s Hoops History Update
- Colorado Buffaloes Men’s Basketball History Update
- UCLA Bruins Men’s Basketball History Update
- USC Trojans Men’s Basketball History Update
- Utah Utes Men’s Basketball History Update
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 17 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Historical Pac-12 NFL Combine Results: Vert Jump
- Most Pac-12 Single-Season Receiving Touchdowns
- Updated Pac-12 Conference Bowl Game Records
- Updated Pac-12 Football Offensive Players of the Year
- Updated Pac-12 Football Coach of the Year Awards
- Pac-12 Olympic Softball Results Tracker
- Former Pac-12 Players in 2021 NBA Playoffs
- All-Time Arizona Wildcats Pro Football Draft Picks
- Top 10 AP Football Poll Appearances in 5 Decades
- Pac-12 in Billingsley’s All-Time Top 200 CFB Teams
- Total All-Time Appearances in AP Football Poll
- All-Time Pac-12 Conference Football W-L Records
- Top 50 in Total Career Yards from Scrimmage
- Top 50 in Career Receiving Yards Per Reception
- Top 50 in Career Rushing Yards Per Attempt
- Top 50 in Career Passing Efficiency Rating
- Top 50 in Total Career Rushing Touchdowns
- Total Career Receiving Yards
- Total Career Touchdowns Responsible For
- Top 50 Total Career Rushing Yards Leaders
- Top 50 QBs in Career Passing Yards per Attempt
- SportsPac12 Mailbag
- Pac-12 in Pro Football Hall of Fame