Posted on July 31, 2021
Some analysts saw it as a reach, having projected him going a little later in the First Round.
Granted, Williams struggled at times as a Cardinal, averaging 10.7 points and 4.6 rebounds per game, while shooting 42% from the field and 29% from three-point land.
But the 6-foot-8 forward has a lot of upside potential, and that’s clearly what the Grizzly scouts and front office saw in him.
His 6-10 wing span enables him to play above the rim, giving Williams the physical tools to be an instant-impact player.
He can make shots off the dribble and out of catch-and-shoot situations, while also possessing the skillset of a great pick-and-roll player with his shot-making and playmaking ability.
While the former Stanford player is a streaky shooter who will need to improve that part of his game, he has good passing vision and excels at getting his teammates involved in the offense.
However, Williams must get stronger and beefier to guard the bigger NBA Wings and play through contact, allowing him to get to the free throw line more often.
All things considered, Williams is an excellent pick for Memphis, giving the Grizzlies a big wing who can score on all three levels, as well as another shot-creator along with Ja Morant.
In short, Ziaire Williams is looking like one of the sneaky good picks of this year’s draft—he just needs to put in the work.
Read his other articles on L’s Sports Takes.
—Recent LaMarr Fields Stories—
- LaMarr Fields’ Top 5 Head Coach Candidates for USC
- Fields: Key Takeaways from Cal’s Loss to TCU
- Fields: 15 Games at ASU was All Christopher Needed
- Fields: Mobley a Potential Franchise Player for Cavs
- Fields: Chris Duarte and the Pacers Knew his Worth
- Fields: Gary Payton Comes Full-Circle
- Fields: Revisiting Jason Kidd’s Stellar Career at Cal
- Former Bruin Jrue Holiday a Steady Force in NBA
- Fields: Three Pac-12 Football Freshmen to Watch in 2021
- Fields: Arizona WBB Mines Gold from Transfer Portal
- Fields: Top Six 2021 Pac-12 NFL Draft Prospects
- LaMarr Fields’ Top 5 Head Coach Candidates for USC - September 15, 2021
- Fields: Key Takeaways from Cal’s Loss to TCU - September 13, 2021
- Fields: 15 Games at ASU was All Christopher Needed - August 3, 2021