Posted on May 23, 2022
Some schools, like Arizona and Stanford, found somewhat unexpected success bringing in high-school kids after going a combined 4-20 last year. Other schools, like USC and UCLA, had immense success in the transfer portal this off-season.
On this episode of Locked On Pac-12, I examine how the 12 conference schools are stacking up with their 2022 recruiting classes—including the transfer portal.
Arizona and Stanford football are definitely the biggest surprises when looking at 2022 recruiting rankings after abysmal 2021 campaigns, meaning Jedd Fisch and David Shaw continue to have success selling their programs’ visions to high school kids.
Meanwhile, the LA schools are bringing in two of the best transfer portal classes in the country this year.
Today begins the first feature in one of twelve upcoming on the show: Pac-12 Coaching Grades. I begin with UCLA head coach Chip Kelly and gives him a total of five “grades”—overall, recruiting, game management/scheme, player development, and coaching hires.
Four seasons in, Chip Kelly has done a solid job making UCLA a competitive program again. His use of the transfer portal has helped bolster his roster for the upcoming season.
Support Us By Supporting Our Sponsors!
• Built Bar is a protein bar that tastes like a candy bar. Go to builtbar.com and use promo code “LOCKED15,” and you’ll get 15% off your next order
• BetOnline.net has you covered this season with more props, odds, and lines than ever before. BetOnline – Where The Game Starts!
• Rock Auto has an amazing selection. Reliably low prices. All the parts your car will ever need. Visit RockAuto.com and tell them Locked On sent you.
Want more daily content on the Pac-12 conference?
Follow & Subscribe to the Podcast on these platforms…
—More from Spencer McLaughlin—
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Must Keep Top Talent in West
- McLaughlin: Can UW Football Re-Emerge as National Power?
- McLaughlin: Will Stanford Exceed 4.5 Wins in 2022?
- McLaughlin: Whittingham’s Deal a Good Sign for Pac-12
- McLaughlin: Which Pac-12 School has Highest NIL Potential?
- McLaughlin: UW Can & Must Compete on Recruiting Trail
- McLaughlin: Lincoln Riley’s Affect on Pac-12 Recruiting
- McLaughlin: Could Pac-12 HCs Reduce Roles in Recruiting?
- McLaughlin: Evaluating Recent Pac-12 Football Commits
- McLaughlin: Opportunities for Pac-12 to Raise its Standing
- McLaughlin: Who will be Big-Impact Pac-12 Players in 2022?
- McLaughlin: Can SC’s Def Recruiting Match its Offense?
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Football Coaches by ‘Top Gun’ Call Signs
- McLaughlin: Does Pac-12 Football need its own playoff?
- McLaughlin: Big Nonconference Pac-12 Football Games
- McLaughlin: The Toughest Places to Recruit to in the Pac-12
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Teams with Biggest Week 1 Opportunities
- McLaughlin: 8-Game Conference Football Slate a Bad Idea
- McLaughlin: Breaking Down David Shaw’s Career at Stanford
- McLaughlin: Scheduling Opportunities without Divisions
- McLaughlin: Pac-12 Recruiting Surprises and Struggles
- McLaughlin: Arizona Football Trending Up under Jedd Fisch
- McLaughlin: How New Football Rule Changes Battle for Title
McLaughlin: Pac-12 Must Keep Top Talent in WestSpencer discusses the issue with John Garcia Jr., director of recruiting for Sports Illustrated - July 2, 2022
McLaughlin: Can UW Football Re-Emerge as National Power?The Huskies are looking to become relevant again under new head coach Kalen DeBoer - July 1, 2022
McLaughlin: Will Stanford Exceed 4.5 Wins in 2022?Spencer also talks about the expectations for Washington State head coach Jake Dickert - June 29, 2022