Posted on October 27, 2020
In this 12-part series, I look at what makes each facility unique, and recount some of the key moments and stats* in the Pac-12 Era. We continue in this ninth installment with Oregon State’s Gill Coliseum.
Elevation: 230 feet
Overall Record: 101-48
Overall Conference Record: 45-38
Overall Nonconference Record: 56-10
At the start of the Pac-12 Era, Craig Robinson led the program to nonconference victories over New Mexico State and TCU, but dropped shockers to Idaho, Towson, and Coppin State. Wayne Tinkle took over in 2014 and has led the Beavs’ to .500 or better finishes in five of his six seasons.
But the home crowd has similarly witnessed shocking defeats to Lamar, Savannah State, and Kent State under his tutelage.
Within the Conference, OSU’s best win was over No. 7 Arizona in 2015, a Wildcat team that eventually made it to the Elite 8. Last season, Tinkle and company posted two respectable victories over No. 14 Oregon and No. 24 Arizona to go along with a win over Iowa State to start the year.
The three victories in 2019-20 were arguably the program’s best resume-building wins in a single season since the Conference expanded in 2011-12.
In fact, all four of Oregon State’s victories over ranked conference opponents have come during the Tinkle Era. And in 2016, the Beavers made their first NCAA Tournament appearance since 1990 after taking down No. 21 USC in Corvallis.
Only Arizona, Stanford, and Arizona State have winning records in the building, a testament to the student section’s affect on opponents. The Beavers are also above .500 against Oregon, an accomplishment that not many teams in the Conference of Champions can match.
Though not quite an environment that opponents dread coming to, or one that players circle on the schedule each season, the arena, crowd, and home team are consistently liable to take advantage of overconfident visitors. Especially in the Tinkle Era.
But after nine seasons, there has yet to be a matchup between two ranked teams, and Oregon State hasn’t taken the floor ranked in the Top 25. To get there, OSU can’t afford any more losses to the likes of the Kent State’s and Lamar’s of the college basketball world in the 2020s.
Any stumbles in 2020-21 would put the program at further risk of getting left behind as the Pac-12 as a whole precipitously strengthens in the new decade.
Records vs. Top 25 and When Ranked
Record v. Top 25: 4-9
Record v. Top 25 When Unranked: 4-9
Record v. Top 25 When Ranked: 0-0
Record When Ranked: 0-0
Highest Home-Game Rankings
Highest Ranking for Home Game: Unranked
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 7 Arizona (2015)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 UCLA (2016)
Noteworthy Conference Wins: No. 7 Arizona (2015); No. 14 Oregon (2020); No. 21 USC (2016); No. 24 Arizona (2020)
Noteworthy Nonconference Wins: New Mexico State (2012); TCU (2012 CBI); Mississippi State (2014); Nevada (2015); Iowa State (2019)
Idaho by 14 (2011)
Coppin State by 5 (2013)
Redford by 4 (2014 CBI)
Lamar by 3 (2016)
Savannah State by 3 (2016)
Kent State by 3 (2018)
Towson by 1 (2012)
Record of Pac-12 Teams at Gill Coliseum
Arizona State: 4-3
Washington State: 3-5
Oregon’s Matthew Knight Arena
—More from Dane Miller—
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: ASU Fighting Adversity
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Wildcats Clawing Back
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utes Reloading on Defense
- Dane’s Miller’s Top Returning Men’s Hoops Freshmen
- 2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: QB Play Key for Colorado
- Miller: All’s Fair in College Football’s New Free Market
- Dane Miller’s Post-Spring Pac-12 Football Power Rankings
- Miller: Pac-12 Hoops Attendance a Measure of Success
- Dane Miller’s WSU-Texas A&M Semifinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Sweet 16 NCAA Preview
- Dane Miller’s Washington State Quarterfinal NIT Preview
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Second-Round NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NCAA Previews
- Dane Miller’s First-Round Pac-12 NIT Previews
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Preview
- Dane Miller’s Semifinal Men’s Hoops Tourney Previews
- Dane Miller’s Round 2 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s Round 1 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tourney Preview
- Dane Miller’s March 5 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s March 3 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s March 1 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Feb 26 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Feb 24 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Feb 23 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Feb 19-20 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Feb 17 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Feb 15 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Preview
- Dane Miller’s Feb 12 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
- Dane Miller’s Feb 9 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Previews
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: ASU Fighting AdversityEighteen players have transferred out, including key contributors on both sides of the ball - June 27, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Preview: Wildcats Clawing BackUA Recruiting has hit heights arguably unmatched during any other coach’s tenure in Tucson - June 20, 2022
2022 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utes Reloading on DefenseDepth in the secondary is a legitimate concern, as is the gaping hole left in the linebacker corps - June 13, 2022