Posted on July 2, 2021
In this 12-part series, we look at what makes each facility unique, considering some of the key moments and stats (provided by SERCstats.com) in the Pac-12 Era.
In this third installment, we scout Arizona Stadium.
Overall Record: 37-24
Nonconference record: 17-2
Conference Record: 20-22
Known for its night games and semi-annual upsets of ranked opponents, the Wildcats have had varied success in its confines.
When at full capacity, Arizona Stadium is one of the loudest venues in the country.
Victories over No. 5 Oregon in 2013, No. 10 USC in 2012, No. 13 Arizona State in 2014, and No. 18 Oklahoma State in 2012 are among the seven wins over Top 25 opponents during the Pac-12 Era.
A 6-2 mark when taking the field as a ranked team, and a 3-2 record against Top 25 Conference opponents when ranked are some of the highlights in the desert since 2011.
But the sub-.500 mark in Pac-12 play, and 2-3 record against Arizona State, puts a damper on the success the program has had at home.
Stanford is undefeated in its two games played in Tucson since the Conference expanded, while USC, Utah, Arizona State, and Washington State each have winning records on the artificial turf.
Still, those series don’t detract from the blowout victories over ranked Oregon teams, the winning records against Colorado and UCLA, and the undefeated mark over California.
Although all but four Pac-12 programs are .500 or better at Arizona Stadium, the Cats have a win over a Top 25 opponent in six of the 10 seasons during the Era.
And the 2014 victory over the ranked Sun Devils secured Arizona’s first-ever Pac-12 South Championship.
As the 2020s march on, the potential is there for Jedd Fisch to recapture the magic of the stadium from the height of the Mike Stoops Era and the 2014 season under Rich Rodriguez.
It’s just a matter of rebuilding belief among a fan base that has become accustomed to annual disappointment and intermittent flashes in the pan.
If Fisch can bottle that belief, the sellouts and raucous environment may just return to the desert.
Records vs. Top 25
Record v. Top 25: 7-9
Record v. Top 25 Conference Opponents: 6-9
Record v. Top 25 Nonconference Opponents: 1-0
Record v. Top 25 when Ranked: 1-1
Records When Ranked
Record when Ranked: 6-2
Record v. Conference Opponents when Ranked: 3-2
Record v. Nonconference Opponents when Ranked: 3-0
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 10 (2014)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 5 Oregon (2013)
Loss to Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 6 Stanford (2011)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 5 Oregon (2013)
Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 18 Oklahoma State (2012)
Victory over Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 18 Oklahoma State (2012)
Records of Pac-12 Teams at Arizona Stadium
Washington State: 2-1
Arizona State: 3-2
Oregon State: 2-2
—Other Pac-12 Football Venue Scouting Reports—
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Dane Miller’s Top Returning Pac-12 Hoops Freshmen
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Stanford Cardinal
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: The Rose Bowl
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Cal Bears
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: Sun Devil Stadium
- 2021 Preseason SportsPac12 All-SW/MTN Region Teams
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: USC Trojans
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: UCLA Bruins
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: ASU Sun Devils
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: Colorado’s Folsom Field
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Arizona Wildcats
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: Utah’s Rice-Eccles Stadium
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utah Utes
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Colorado Buffaloes
- Writer’s Roundtable: The State of Pac-12 Men’s Basketball
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Football Post-Spring Power Rankings
- Miller: The Jury is Out on Tommy Lloyd Hire at Arizona
- Dane Miller: Arizona Basketball Will Weather the Storm
- Miller: UCLA-Gonzaga Final Four Preview
- Miller: Tuesday Pac-12 Elite Eight Previews
- Miller: Oregon State vs. Houston Elite Eight Preview
- Miller: Sunday Pac-12 NCAA Tournament Previews
- Miller: Oregon State vs. Loyola Chicago Preview
- Miller: Monday Pac-12 NCAA Men’s Tournament Previews
- Miller: Oregon State vs. Oklahoma State Preview
- Miller: Saturday NCAA Men’s Hoops Tournament Previews
- Miller: Thursday & Friday NCAA Men’s Tournament Previews
- Miller: Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Championship Preview
- Miller: Friday Pac-12 Hoops Tournament Previews
- Miller: Thursday Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tournament Previews
- Miller: Wednesday Pac-12 Tournament Previews
- Miller: Legacies, Title at Stake in Ducks-Beavers Clash
- Miller: Week 15 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Media Narrative about Arizona Paying Players Debunked by NOA
- Miller: Week 15 Wed./Thurs. Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 15 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 14 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 14 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 14 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 13 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews