Posted on June 23, 2021
In this 12-part series, we look at what makes each facility unique, considering some of the key moments and stats (provided by SERCstats.com) in the Pac-12 Era.
In this second installment, we scout Colorado’s Folsom Field.
Overall Record: 26-33
Nonconference record: 13-3
Conference Record: 13-30
And in a stadium that’s nearly 100 years old, the pageantry of games in Boulder matches or exceeds any other venue in the Conference of Champions.
But there’s no denying the struggles the program has faced since making the jump from the Big 12 in 2011.
All but UCLA, California, and Arizona State have winning records at Folsom Field, while USC and Oregon are undefeated.
Despite the altitude advantages, CU is 2-12 against ranked Pac-12 opponents and 13-30 against conference opponents overall.
Between 2013 and 2015, Colorado lost 10-straight conference games in the stadium.
Yet, in 2016 the Buffs won the Pac-12 South while beating No. 20 Washington State and No. 21 Utah in Boulder.
That season, the team took the field ranked as high as No. 9 in the nation and secured its 2-0 record in matchups when both teams are rated in the Top 25. And when ranked, CU is 4-1 overall and 3-1 against Pac-12 opponents, displaying its strength when on top of its game.
The 2019 nonconference victory over No. 25 Nebraska was an instant-classic overtime win that will live on for decades to come, while the 2016 run to the Alamo Bowl will never be forgotten.
Still, the losing record in Boulder since the Conference expanded, and the lack of a signature Pac-12 upset, are issues Karl Dorrell must deal with heading into the the 2020s.
The historically mixed bag indicates the potential Folsom Field provides to the Buffaloes, and places the onus on the staff to put it together over successive seasons.
If the recent upswing in Colorado football continues, the stadium could take on an entirely different perception over the next decade.
Records vs. Top 25
Record v. Top 25: 3-12
Record v. Top 25 Conference Opponents: 2-12
Record v. Top 25 Nonconference Opponents: 1-0
Record v. Top 25 when Ranked: 2-0
Records When Ranked
Record when Ranked: 4-1
Record v. Conference Opponents when Ranked: 3-1
Record v. Nonconference Opponents when Ranked: 1-0
Highest Ranking for Home Game: No. 9 (2016)
Victory over Highest Ranked Team: No. 20 Washington State (2016)
Loss to Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 Oregon (2013)
Highest Ranked Opponent: No. 2 Oregon (2013)
Highest Ranked Nonconference Opponent: No. 25 Nebraska (2019)
Records of Pac-12 Teams at Folsom Field
Oregon State: 2-1
Washington State: 2-1
Arizona State: 2-2
—Other Pac-12 Football Venue Scouting Reports—
—Recent Dane Miller Stories—
- Dane Miller’s Top Returning Pac-12 Hoops Freshmen
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Stanford Cardinal
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: The Rose Bowl
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Cal Bears
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: Sun Devil Stadium
- 2021 Preseason SportsPac12 All-SW/MTN Region Teams
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: USC Trojans
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: UCLA Bruins
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: Arizona Stadium
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: ASU Sun Devils
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Arizona Wildcats
- Scouting the Pac-12 Venues: Utah’s Rice-Eccles Stadium
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Utah Utes
- 2021 Pac-12 Football Previews: Colorado Buffaloes
- Writer’s Roundtable: The State of Pac-12 Men’s Basketball
- Dane Miller’s Pac-12 Football Post-Spring Power Rankings
- Miller: The Jury is Out on Tommy Lloyd Hire at Arizona
- Dane Miller: Arizona Basketball Will Weather the Storm
- Miller: UCLA-Gonzaga Final Four Preview
- Miller: Tuesday Pac-12 Elite Eight Previews
- Miller: Oregon State vs. Houston Elite Eight Preview
- Miller: Sunday Pac-12 NCAA Tournament Previews
- Miller: Oregon State vs. Loyola Chicago Preview
- Miller: Monday Pac-12 NCAA Men’s Tournament Previews
- Miller: Oregon State vs. Oklahoma State Preview
- Miller: Saturday NCAA Men’s Hoops Tournament Previews
- Miller: Thursday & Friday NCAA Men’s Tournament Previews
- Miller: Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Championship Preview
- Miller: Friday Pac-12 Hoops Tournament Previews
- Miller: Thursday Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Tournament Previews
- Miller: Wednesday Pac-12 Tournament Previews
- Miller: Legacies, Title at Stake in Ducks-Beavers Clash
- Miller: Week 15 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Media Narrative about Arizona Paying Players Debunked by NOA
- Miller: Week 15 Wed./Thurs. Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 15 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 14 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 14 Thursday Men’s Hoops Previews
- Miller: Week 14 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings
- Miller: Week 13 Saturday Men’s Hoops Previews