Posted on November 25, 2021
The final week of the regular season kicks off with a pair of rivalry games on Friday with Utah hosting Colorado and Washington welcoming Washington State to Seattle for the Apple Cup.
Oregon and Oregon State renew acquaintances in Eugene with the North up for grabs between Oregon, Washington State and Oregon State.
The Territorial Cup is the oldest Trophy Game in the nation. Stanford steps out of Conference for a season finale with Notre Dame.
UCLA and Cal meet in the Rose Bowl with Cal attempting to become Bowl eligible over the next two weeks by accomplishing a feat they have not done since 1958.
USC tries to salvage their season against a nonconference foe in BYU that is unbeaten against the Pac-12 this season.
Six conference teams are bowl eligible (Oregon, OSU, Utah, ASU, Washington State and UCLA); USC and Cal must win out or will be home for the Holidays.
Colorado Buffaloes at Utah Utes
FOX | Joe Davis and Brock Huard | Friday, 1:00 pm PT
Series: The all-time series is tied at 32-32-3 Utah leads 18-14-2 in Salt Lake City
• Utah has won four in a row at home in the series.
• Utah has averaged 36.8 points per game in the last four against Colorado, all Utah wins.
• Utah is 8-2 against Colorado since the two became Pac-12 rivals.
• Utah is 105-36 (.745) in Rice-Eccles Stadium
• Colorado is 19-25 all-time on Friday.
• Colorado’s Josh Watts is seventh in the nation punting for an average of 47.9 yards.
• Brendon Lewis has thrown 108 consecutive passes without an interception, the longest streak ever by a Colorado freshman.
• The Buffs average just 8.0 points per first half this season, 120th in the nation. They have increased that to 14.3 in the last three.
• Colorado is punting the ball 1.8 times per score, 116th in the nation.
• Utah’s Britain Covey is returning punts at 17.5 yards per return, the best in the country.
• Devin Lloyd is second in the nation with 1.9 tackles for loss per game this season
• Tavion Thomas has 17 rushing touchdowns this season, the fourth most in the nation.
• Cole Bishop has 6.0 TFL this season, all in the last 3 games.
• Utah’s 4.5 penalties per game are the 12th-fewest in the nation.
• Utah has scored at least 34 points in each of their last seven games.
Washington State Cougars at Washington Huskies
FS1 | Alex Faust and Petros Padadakis | Friday, 5:00 pm PT
Series: Washington leads 74-32-6, the Huskies are 42-15-5 in Seattle
• Washington has won seven in a row over the Cougars.
• Washington has played eight consecutive games that have been decided by 10 or fewer points, with seven of those eight closer than a touchdown.
• Jayden de Laura leads the Pac-12 with 23 passing touchdowns.
• Washington State is second in the nation with 13 fumble recoveries this season.
• Jayden de Laura has multiple TD passes in 8 of the 10 games he’s played this season.
• Jahad Woods, had 415 career tackles, 4th most in school history.
• Ron Stone is fourth in the Pac-12 with 10.5 TFL this season.
• Washington leads the nation in passing defense by a good margin allowing 133.6 per game, the next closest is Cincinnati at 155.5.
• Washington has not allowed an opponent to score more than 35 points in 86 consecutive games.
• Washington has only given up 8 plays of 30+ yards this season, the fewest in FBS.
• This season, Washington has allowed just three plays of 40+ yards, the second fewest in the nation.
• Washington leads the Pac-12 in first downs allowed, passing yards allowed, pass efficiency defense, and scoring defense; and is second in total defense.
Oregon State Beavers at Oregon Ducks
ESPN | Dave Pasch, Dusty Dvoracek & Tom Luginbill | 12:30 pm PT
Series: Oregon leads 66-48-10 with a 31-23-3 edge in Eugene
• Oregon is 8-2 in their last 10 vs Oregon State.
• Rejzohn Wright is averaging .91 passes defended per game this season, third in the Pac-12 Oregon is 16-1 when Travis Dye scores a TD.
• Verone McKinley III is tied for the national lead with five interceptions this season.
• Oregon is 16-1 when Travis Dye scores a TD.
• Four of four Anthony Brown’s eight rushing TD this season have come in the 4th quarter.
• Oregon has outscored opponents 89-34 in the third quarter this season.
• Avery Roberts is averaging 10.9 tackles per game for Oregon State, the sixth most of any player in the country.
• Oregon State is converting 51.5% of their third downs, the fourth best in the nation
• B.J. Baylor is the 9th player in program history to rush for 1,000 yards in a season.
• Oregon State has run for 254.7 in wins this season and only 18.0 per game in losses.
• Oregon State is allowing a third down conversion at a rate of 48.8%, the fourth-worst in the nation.
• Travis Dye is the only Power 5 player and one of just three players nationally with at least 2,500 rushing yards and 700 receiving yards in their career.
• Noah Sewell is 11 tackles away from becoming the first Duck since Troy Dye in 2018 to reach 100 in a season.
• Oregon has converted on 50.7 percent of its third downs (72-of-142), the sixth-best mark in the FBS.
• Travis Dye needs 63 more rushing yards to reach 1,000 in a season for the first time in his career.
Arizona Wildcats at Arizona State Sun Devils
P12N | Ted Robinson and Yogi Roth | 1:00 pm PT
Series: Arizona leads 49-44-1, Arizona State leads 23-18-1 in Tempe
• Since 1949, ASU holds a 43-29-1 record in the series.
• The winner of the game will receive (or retain) the Territorial Cup Trophy, and the game is recognized by the NCAA as the nation’s oldest rivalry trophy game.
• Arizona allows just 186.4 passing yards per game, which is second in the Pac-12 and 15th in the nation.
• Kyle Ostendorp leads the Pac-12 and fourth in the nation, averaging 49.4 yards per punt.
• Nazar Bombata is one of nine players in the country with two blocked punts this season and is the first Wildcat since Michael Jolivette (2002) to block two punts in one season.
• Stanley Berryhill III needs seven catches to become the sixth player in Arizona history with 80 catches in one season.
• Michael Wiley has scored a touchdown in four straight games for the first time in his career. The last time a Wildcat scored a touchdown in four or more straight games was Shawn Poindexter, who caught at least one touchdown pass in the last five games of the 2018 season.
• Arizona State has allowed just seven plays over 50 yards to opponents since the 2018 season over 41 games.
• ASU has held opponents to less than 30 points in 28 of 41 games under Herm Edwards,
• Curtis Hodges averages 18.65 yards per reception this season, the second most of any TE in the nation and 21st overall.
• Arizona State has allowed just one play of 40+ yards this year, the fewest of any team in the country.
• ASU has converted 84.0 percent of its opportunities (21-of-25) with one or two yards to go on third down—third-best in the FBS.
• Arizona State has allowed 7.9 points per game after halftime this season, the sixth fewest in the nation.
• Darien Butler has 17 tackles for loss or no gain, second-most in the Pac12 and Top-10 among all FBS linebackers
Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Stanford Cardinal
FOX | Joe Davis and Brock Huard | 5:00 pm PT
Series: Notre Dame leads 21-13 the Cardinal hold a 9-8 lead in Palo Alto
• Notre Dame has won 15-consecutive games in November dating back to the 2017 season.
• Benjamin Yurosek has tallied 11 receptions for more than 20 yards on the season. That is the second most 11 among Power Five tight ends.
• 27 of Benjamin Yurosek’s 35 catches this season have gone for first downs or touchdowns.
• Kyu Blue Kelly leads the Pac-12 and is tied for 10th in the nation with 1.2 passes defended per game.
• Tanner McKee’s 18 total touchdowns (14 passing, 4 rushing) are the most by a Stanford freshman (true or redshirt) in school history. Andrew Luck (2009) and Steve Stenstrom (1991) both had 15.
• Benjamin Yurosek’s 15.3 yards per reception ranks first among Power 5 tight ends with at least 3.5 receptions per game.
• Notre Dame is the only team in the NCAA to have two games this season with multiple defensive touchdowns against Power 5 opponents.
• The Irish are currently tied for fifth nationally with 15 interceptions. It is the most interceptions since 2014 when the Irish had 16 that season.
• The Irish have totaled 21 takeaways this season, which ranks tied for 13th nationally.
BYU Cougars at USC Trojans
ESPN | Dave Flemming, Rod Gilmore and Stormy Buonantony | 7:30 pm PT
Series: USC leads 2-1 all-time and has a won the only matchup in the Coliseum
• This is just the 13th time since 1926 that USC will not face either Notre Dame or UCLA when the Trojans had a game scheduled during Thanksgiving week.
• USC has gotten just 9.3 points per game in the second half of their last three. The Trojans are averaging 15.7 in the second half of all games this season.
• BYU is playing its fifth Pac-12 team of the season in hopes to go a perfect 5-0 against the Conference of Champions. BYU defeated Arizona, Utah (Pac-12 South winner), Arizona State and Washington State earlier this year.
• Tyler Allgeier has multiple touchdowns in four games this year and a rushing score in 9 of 11 games.
• Tyler Allgeier is tied for No. 3 nationally in total touchdowns scored and tied for No. 9 in scoring at 9.8 points per game.
• BYU ranks No. 2 nationally in turnover margin at 1.09.
• All-time, USC is 269-136-20 (.656) in November.
• USC is 188-74-4 (.712) at night, including 108-34-4 in the Coliseum.
• Keaontay Ingram has rushed for 100+ yards in three of the last six games, averaging 111.3 yards per game in that span.
• USC currently is 19th nationally in defensive TDs (2, first in Pac-12) and 24th in passes intercepted (12, fifth in Pac-12).
• USC has intercepted a pass in 167 of the last 247 games.
• Only 65 opposing runners have rushed for 100 yards against USC in the past 231 game.
California Golden Bears at UCLA Bruins
FS1 | Aaron Goldsmith and Mark Helfrich | 7:30 pm PT
Series: UCLA leads 56-34-1
• Cal and UCLA are playing the Rose Bowl for the third consecutive season.
• UCLA has averaged an NCAA best 27.3 points per game in the second half over the last three games.
• Cal is playing Stanford and UCLA in consecutive games for the fourth time in the last six seasons .
• This matchup features the No. 1 (Cal) and No. 2 (UCLA) rush defenses in the Pac-12.
• It also features the No. 1 (Chase Garbers) and No. 2 (Dorian Thompson-Robinson) total offense leaders in the league.
• UCLA, at 2-0 for November in 2021, is seeking its first unbeaten record in the month since the 1998 season when it went 3-0.
• Greg Dulcich has 639 receiving yards, the 8th-most of any TE in the nation.
• Cal must finish the season with wins over Stanford, UCLA and USC to become Bowl Eligible. That is something the Bears have not done since 1958.
• UCLA has averaged 209.0 rushing yards per game in their seven wins this season and 142.8 in their four losses.
• UCLA has run for at least 200 yards in all their wins this season.
• UCLA has allowed 304 passing yards per game in losses and just 254.0 in their wins.
• UCLA has averaged an NCAA beast 27.3 points per game after halftime in their last three games.
• UCLA has punted the ball 1.7 times per game in their last three games played, tied for the second fewest in the nation over that period.
• UCLA has an 86-42 advantage in the first quarter of games this season and opponents have tallied just 4 TDs in the first quarter of games.
• In three wins this season, Cal has allowed an average of 65.5 rushing yards per game, in their losses it is 158.2 yards per game.
• Dorian Thompson-Robinson ranks second in the Pac-12 in total offense (275.2) and first in pass efficiency (154.1), pass yards per completion (14.3) and passing yards per attempt (8.8). He is 2nd is passing touchdowns with 18.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—More from Stephen Vilardo—
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 Historical NBA Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Mock Draft
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Draft Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Statistical NFL Draft Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NFL Draft Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Semifinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-UNC Sweet 16 Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s Arizona-Houston Sweet 16 Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s WSU Quarterfinal NIT Stat Preview
- Stephen Vilardo’s TCU vs Arizona NCAA Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s UCLA-St. Mary’s 2nd-Round Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s First-Round NCAA Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Tuesday Pac-12 NIT Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tournament Championship Recap
- Steven Vilardo’s Pac-12 Tourney Championship Stat Preview
- Vilardo: Some Pac-12 Tournament Semifinal Insights
- Stephen Vilardo’s Pac-12 Men’s Tournament Capsules
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 16 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 15 Pac-12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 14 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 13 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 12 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 11 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 10 Men’s Hoops Stat Previews
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Rose Bowl Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2021 Sun Bowl Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2021 Las Vegas Bowl Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2021 Alamo Bowl Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s 2021 Holiday Bowl Game Notes
- Stephen Vilardo’s LA Bowl Preview by the Numbers
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 Historical NBA Draft CapsulesA condensed history of each Conference program's pro basketball selections over the years - June 23, 2022
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Mock DraftExpect six former Pac-12 men's basketball players to be selected on Thursday night - June 22, 2022
Stephen Vilardo’s 2022 Pac-12 NBA Draft Stat PreviewThe Conference has seen at least one player selected in the First Round of the last 33 drafts - June 21, 2022