Posted on September 17, 2021
It is also suffering through the nation’s longest losing streak in Arizona’s 14-straight defeats, and an unexpected setback in Washington’s 0-2 start.
Regardless of each team’s current status, Saturday’s schedule presents 11 more opportunities to win.
Here are quick-hit notes and stats for each matchup.
Minnesota at Colorado
Colorado leads the series 3-0 all-time
- The Buffs have won the three meetings in the series by an average of 30.3 points. The last meeting in 1992 was a one-point 21-20 CU victory.
- Minnesota has won 20-straight non-conference games, the longest active streak in the nation
- The Gophers are 59-65-9 all-time in road openers
- Colorado has gone 20-5 in their last 25 regular season non-conference games.
- Last week Trey Potts carried the ball 34 times for Minnesota, the most carries in a single game by any player this season, gaining 178 on those 34 totes.
- Colorado has allowed under 300 yards in each of its first two games this season, just the fourth time since 1988 the Buffs have done that
- Nate Landman is averaging 5.1 tackles per game in his career, the third-most of any active player in the nation.
- Dimitri Stanley leads the Pac-12 and is third in the nation with a punt return average of 20.2 yards
Idaho at Oregon State
Oregon State leads the all-time series 37-6
- The Beavers are 16-1 in their last 17 games against the Vandals.
- BJ Baylor is second in the nation with a Pac-12-best five rushing TDs this season.
- Avery Roberts has recorded at least 10 tackles in nine of his 19 games in a Beavers uniform
- Oregon State leads the Pac-12 with 8.0 TFL per game this season.
- Last week, Idaho’s special teams allowed a TD on a punt return and a blocked punt.
- Avery Roberts leads the Pac-12 with 3.5 TFL this season.
- Tre Walker is averaging 4.76 tackles per game for his career, the fifth-highest career average among active FCS players.
USC at Washington State
USC leads the all-time series 61-10-4
- The Trojans are 15-4-2 all-time against Washington State in Pullman
- The Cougars are 19-4 in their last 23 games at home
- USC lost their Pac-12 opener for the ninth time since 2000. The prior eight times the Trojans have done that they have ended up in the Rose Bowl on three occasions and made a bowl in seven of the eight seasons.
- Jahad Woods is averaging nine tackles per game this season; his 337 career tackles are the third most of any active player in the nation.
- Woods also owns eight forced fumbles in his career, the third-most nationally among active players.
- Kedon Slovis is averaging 295.1 passing yards per game for his career, the second most of any active QB in the nation.
- Drake London’s 8.0 receptions per game this season is fourth in the country
- Trevell Harris is averaging 19.3 yards per punt return this season, fifth-highest average in America
Sacramento State at California
Cal leads the all-time series 2-0
- In the two meetings between the schools, Cal has averaged 48 points per game while Sacramento State has averaged 8.5 points per game.
- Cal is 10-3 in their last 13 non-conference games.
- Pierre Williams needs 63 receiving yards to move into seventh place on the Hornets all-time list.
- Cameron Goode has 16.0 sacks in his career, the most of any active Pac-12 player and the ninth-most in the nation.
- With two TD Passes, Chase Garbers will tie Mike Pawlawaski for 10th on the Cal all-time list with 40.
Arkansas State at Washington
This is the first time the two teams have met
- Cade Otton is tied for fourth among TEs nationally with 5.5 receptions per game this season.
- Arkansas State’s Corey Rucker has four receiving TDs on the season, tied for the second most in the nation.
- Corey Rucker has also had at least one TD reception in each of the Red Wolves last three games.
- Washington has not allowed an opponent to score more than 35 points in 77 consecutive games, the longest active streak in the nation, and second-longest streak in UW history.
- Kivon Bennett has had at least 1.5 TFL in each of A-State’s first two games, he has 4.5 on the season
- Washington’s 8.5 points per game rank 129th in the nation. Only Navy has scored less this season, averaging 5.0 over two games.
Utah at San Diego State
Utah leads the series 17-12-1
- The Utes have outscored San Diego State 200-69 in the last five games of the all-time series.
- San Diego State and Utah are first and second nationally among all FBS teams in longest active streak of holding opponents to 450 yards or less of total offense.
- Utah has held opponents to under 450 yards in a nation’s best 26 games, while San Diego State is second at 24. No other team has a streak of longer than 18 games
- Utah is 27-2 in regular-season non-conference games since joining the Pac-12 in 2011.
- Devin Lloyd leads the Pac-12 and is second nationally with 12.5 total tackles per game.
- Daniel Bellinger has caught four passes for 123 yards, the 30.75-yard average is the fourth highest in the country and second highest of any TE (Dulcich, UCLA 33.0).
- San Diego State is 6-2 vs Pac-12 opponents since 2016.
- Matt Araiza leads the nation with a 55.2-yard punt average for the Aztecs.
Stony Brook at No. 4 Oregon
First meeting between the teams
- Oregon a 27-game nonconference home winning streak, the second longest in the nation
- The Ducks have won their last 13 games at Autzen Stadium, the fifth longest streak in the nation.
- This is the first time Stony Brook has ever faced a Pac-12 opponent in football.
- CJ Verdell has rushed for 2,758 yards in his career, the seventh most in Oregon history and the 10th most of any active player in the nation.
- 11 different Oregon receivers caught a pass against Ohio State, with each having at least one reception of 10 yards or more.
- Ty Son Lawton is 15th in the nation at the FCS level with 176 rushing yards this season
- Verone McKinley III is averaging 7.1 tackles per game in his last seven games.
Stanford at Vanderbilt
This will be the first-ever meeting between Vanderbilt and Stanford
- The Cardinal are looking to get the Pac-12 their sixth ever win over an SEC team in the regular season since expanding to 12 teams (5-10).
- Vanderbilt has not faced a Pac-12 team since 1961.
- The Commodores are set for their first home nonconference match up against a Power 5 opponent since Sept. 16, 2017, when they welcomed a ranked Kansas State team to Vanderbilt Stadium.
- Vanderbilt is 2-0 in its last two nonconference home matchups against Power 5 opponents.
- Last week, Tanner McKee became the 13th FBS QB to defeat a ranked opponent on the road in his first career start.
- Tanner McKee’s 234 yards last week were the fourth-most for a Cardinal in their first start at QB since 2003.
- Nathaniel Peat is averaging 13.4 yards per touch in his career on rushing plays and punt returns.
Northern Arizona at Arizona
Arizona leads the all-time series 15-1
- The Wildcats ahve won 14-straight vs. Northern Arizona, and have scored over 60 points in each of the last three matchups.
- Stanley Barnhill currently ranks third in the nation with 8.5 receptions per game.
- Arizona’s two sacks against San Diego State matched the team’s sack total from all five games last season.
- Kyle Ostendorp leads the Pac-12 with seven punts of 50 yards or more.
- Arizona has lost 14-straight games, the longest active streak in the nation.
- Arizona has never lost to an FCS opponent.
- NAU is 2-6 in their last eight vs FBS opponents.
- Luis Aguilar has made 66 straight PATs, the second longest streak in NAU history.
- Carson Taylor has 28.5 TFL in his career for the Lumberjacks, fourth most in school history and a half TFL shy of third.
No. 19 Arizona State at No. 23 BYU
Arizona State leads the all-time series 20-7
- The Sun Devils are looking for their sixth win over a ranked nonconference opponent in the Pac-12 era; their five are the most of any Pac-12 team.
- The last time two ranked teams met in Provo was 2009.
- Arizona State has won six-straight non-conference games, tied for the fifth-longest active streak in the nation
- BYU has won 11-straight home games.
- BYU’s 29 Power 5 wins since 2003 are the most of any non-Power 5 team
- Dating back to last season’s Boca Raton Bowl, the Cougars have gone three games without a turnover, a program first since LaVell Edwards took over as head coach in 1972.
- The Sun Devils are 8-2 in nonconference games under Herm Edwards.
- Arizona State is 2-4 against ranked opponents on the road under Herm Edwards
- The Sun Devils are allowing 189.5 yards per game, the fifth-best mark in the nation.
- Keenan Pili had 17 tackles vs Arizona this season, tied for the most in the nation in a single game this season.
- ASU’s Darien Butler is the only player in the country with 2.0 sacks and two interceptions this season.
- Jayden Daniels has only thrown four interceptions on 463 attempts in his career, with none coming on third down
- BYU has nine wins over Power 5 teams under head coach Kalani Sitake.
Fresno State at No. 13 UCLA
UCLA leads the series 6-3
- The Bulldogs’ three wins in the series have come in each of the last three meetings
- Jake Haener is responsible for 68 points this season, the most of any player in the nation entering week 3.
- Last week, Jake Haener had a QB rating of 282.36, the highest single-game rating of any FBS player this season.
- UCLA is allowing just 37.5 yards rushing per game, fourth best in the nation.
- Greg Dulcich is averaging 33.0 yards per reception on the season, the second-most in the nation.
- Ronnie Rivers has run for 2,791 yards in his career, the eighth-most of any active player.
- Dorian Thompson-Robinson leads the NCAA with a 20.53-yard average on each completion.
- UCLA has outscored opponents 24-3 in the first quarter this season and 45-12 in the first half.
- In his last five games, Brittain Brown has rushed 73 times for 521 yards for a 7.1-yard average per carry and three TDs.
- FSU is facing their second top-15 opponent of the season.
- Jake Haener has completed 73.6% of his passes this season, 10th-best in the nation.
Visit his website at sercstats.com.
—Recent Stephen Vilardo Stories—
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 8 Matchups by the Numbers
- Vilardo: Drake London among All-Time Pac-12 WRs
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 7 Matchups by the Numbers
- Vilardo: Pac-12 Once Again Loaded with Great DBs
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 6 Matchups by the Numbers
- Vilardo: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Notes and Milestones
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 5 Matchups by the Numbers
- Vilardo: Week 5 Pac-12 Football Notes and Milestones
- Vilardo: Week 4 Pac-12 Football Notes and Milestones
- Stephen Vilardo’s Week 4 Matchups by the Numbers
- Vilardo: Week 3 Pac-12 Football Notes and Milestones
- Vilardo: Week 2 Pac-12 Matchups By the Numbers
- Vilardo: Week 1 Pac-12 Previews By the Numbers
- Vilardo: UCLA vs. Hawai’i Preview by the Numbers
- Updated Pac-12 NBA Draft Capsules
- 2021 Statistical Pac-12 NBA Draft Preview
- Vilardo: ASU Set for Breakthrough NHL Draft Picks
- Vilardo: Ranking the 2020-21 Pac-12 Athletic Departments
- Vilardo: 2021 Pac-12 NFL Draft Capsules
- Vilardo: 2021 Pac-12 NFL Draft Stats and Notes Preview
- Vilardo: UCLA-Gonzaga Final Four Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Updated NCAA Bracket and Pac-12 Predictions
- Vilardo: Sweet 16 Pac-12 Teams Unlike any Others
- Stephen Vilardo’s NCAA Bracket and Predictions
- Vilardo: Pac-12 NCAA Tournament Statistical Notes
- Vilardo: Pac-12 NCAA Tournament Team Capsules
- Villardo: Pac-12 Tournament Team Capsules
- Vilardo: Regular Season & Tournament Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 15 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 14 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 13 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 12 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 11 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 10 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 8 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Week 7 Pac-12 Men’s Basketball Stat Notes
- Vilardo: Statistical Preview of Oregon-Iowa State Fiesta Bowl
- Vilardo: A Statistical Preview of Colorado-Texas Alamo Bowl
- Vilardo: Week 7 Pac-12 Football Statistical Matchup Notes
- Vilardo: Week 6 Pac-12 Football Statistical Matchup Notes