Editor’s Note: Subjective rankings are sure to draw criticism. Rarely does a sportswriter get to take it and dish it out in a single sitting, but that’s what our Nick Bartlett and Jack Follman do here. Let’s listen in as the two debate their respective uniform rankings and have some fun along the way.
Jack: I think we agreed it played into respect for their fight song in that debate, but do you think USC’s storied history and dominance plays into how positively you view their jerseys? If USC had the program history of say Arizona, would you feel the same about their jerseys?
Nick: I had to do a double take on USC’s jerseys after I read this question and I literally said out loud to myself, “Damn those are nice.” It may have a tiny bit of influence on my rankings, but ultimately some things are just done right, and the Trojans uniform fits this mold. I may actually like SC’s jerseys even more if they had a losing tradition.
Jack: Do you give Colorado points over UCLA for the intimidation factor of their color scheme – black and gold over powder blue and gold?
Nick: The intimidation factor did not play into my rankings of Colorado’s jerseys. I just kept looking at the Buffs uniforms and I was more impressed each time. I also like the black and gold silhouetted by the Rocky Mountains, creates a workmen’s like vibe. Baby blue is for basketball.
Jack: How did you assess Oregon? Did you go off their base jerseys? Wait…Do they have base uniforms? Or did you just rank based on their overall jersey situations?
Nick: Hahahahaha exactly. I based my rankings off of the vomit yellow base jerseys. However, the fact that you have to ask me this many questions about a simple concept like a uniform explains why they’re so low on this list. I love Oregon’s dark green jerseys; in particular, the helmets. But I don’t know if they’ll ever actually wear them again.
Jack: Cal’s jerseys are pretty standard, and they have a very common color scheme so what do you dislike most about their jerseys?
Nick: Everything, they’re even worse than their fight song.
Nick: Why do you hate Oregon State so much? That annoying Beavs fan must have really traumatized you. Is it his fault, or do you really dislike the uniforms?
Jack: No, one annoying Beaver fan does not represent the entire program. I don’t dislike Oregon State’s uniforms but there’s not much that stands out to me about them and I don’t like the futuristic Beaver logo on the helmet. I prefer the old Benny and Bernice Beaver mascots/logo. Also, not wild about the orange and black color combo.
Nick: I feel like Utah’s uniforms are a worse version of Stanford’s what’s your take?
Jack: Yeah, both are pretty generic and I feel like Stanford’s is more old school generic and Utah’s new school generic. I like Stanford’s a bit more because I like the shade of red and the white helmets that create a clean, classic look. Utah’s seems a bit more like a team in a 90s/2000s football movie they created because the filmmakers couldn’t license real NFL or NCAA teams.
Nick: Why did you put UCLA’s Jersey’s first on this list?
Jack: I’ve always loved UCLA’s jerseys—the colors flow so well even though I hate powder blue as a football uniform and they look amazing in the Rose Bowl on a sunny day. I also love classic looks. UCLA’s jerseys look great in 1950 and 2020. I also love anything gold in jerseys, especially helmets.
Nick: I really like Arizona State’s jerseys. The pitchfork is the coolest symbol in our conference. What knocked them down to sixth on your list?
Jack: I will say I love Arizona State’s all blacks. I don’t like maroon as a color though and the pitchfork on the helmet is a bit too modern for my taste—though I’ll note I wasn’t huge on the Sparky logo on their helmet either.
Look for past and future list rankings on the Great Pac-12 Debates page.
—Recent Jack Follman Stories—
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Linebacker Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Defensive Line Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Offensive Line Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s 2021 Pac-12 WR/TE Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Offensive Backfield Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 DB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 LB Rankings
- The Great Pac-12 Non-Conference Games Rankings Debate
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 DL Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 OL Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 TE Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 WR Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 RB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 QB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s 2021 Pac-12 Mock NBA Draft
- Jack Follman’s Early 2022 Top Pac-12 NFL Draft Prospects
- Jack Follman’s Final 2021 Big Board NFL Mock Draft
- Jack Follman’s Updated 2021 Big Board NFL Mock Draft
- Jack Follman’s 2021 Pac-12 Spring QB Battle Previews
- The Great Pac-12 Basketball Prestige Ranking Debate
- Jack Follman’s Best NFL Pac-12 Alumni Players for 2020-21
- The Great Pac-12 Best Football Weather Ranking Debate
- Jack Follman’s Updated Top 2021 Pac-12 NFL Prospects
- Jack Follman’s Early Pac-12 Power Rankings for 2021
- Jack Follman’s 2020 Pac-12 Football All-Freshman Teams
- Jack Follman’s Expanded 2020 All-Pac-12 Selections
- Jack Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Postseason)
- Jack Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 7)
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Underclassmen to Watch for the 2021 NFL Draft
- Jack Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 6)
- Jacks Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 5)
- Jacks Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 4)
- Jack Follman’s Updated 2020 NBA Big Board Mock Draft
- Jacks Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 3)
- Jack Follman’s Top 10 Pac-12 Prospects for the 2020 NBA Draft
- Jacks Follman’s Updated College Football Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 2)
- Jacks Follman’s Preseason College Football Top 25
- Jack Follman’s 2010s Pac-12 All-Decade Football Teams
- The Great Pac-12 Helmet Ranking Debate
- Jack Follman’s 2020 Pac-12 Alumni NBA All-Star Team
Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Linebacker Unit RankingsThe parity of this 2021 LB group makes it one of the most difficult to rank - June 12, 2021
Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Defensive Line Unit RankingsThe shortened 2020 COVID season wasn't kind to the the Conference DL groups - June 11, 2021
Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Offensive Line Unit RankingsUnlike other Conference units, the 2021 OL groups are both strong and deep - June 10, 2021