Editor’s Note: Subjective rankings are sure to draw criticism. Rarely does a sportswriter get to take it and dish it out in a single sitting, but that’s what our Nick Bartlett and Jack Follman do here. Let’s listen in as the two debate their respective helmet rankings and have some fun along the way.
Nick: Well, so much for us agreeing…Why in the world do you have Arizona’s helmets number nine? They’re absolutely amazing. Plus, they’re almost the colors of the American flag.
Jack: I think you’re selling me a bit on the aesthetically-pleasing aspects of Arizona’s helmets. They are damn clean but there’s just not much to them to me, and they aren’t distinctive and their lack of prestige as a program and they’re very common. The blue, red, and white color scheme might be what doesn’t do it for me.
Utah, Stanford, and Arizona was my too forgettable, standard helmet pack as rare Pac-12 helmets that don’t stand out that much in my head.
Nick: When I initially looked at Utah’s helmets they looked nice. When I took a second glance, they lost their appeal. Agree or disagree?
Jack: I think we had similar thoughts when we discussed Utah’s jerseys. They just don’t jump out at me, and though I do think the red and white pops, they just seem a bit “modern” for me, and like a team made up for a football movie in the 1990s or 2000s, where they couldn’t license real teams.
Nick: Why does Colorado’s headgear top your list?
Jack: You got me (in the next question) in that I love gold helmets (with silver second), and gold-and-black while incorporating a logo that perfectly communicates your rad mascot and school letters, that’s what I’m all about.
Nick: It appears you like gold as Colorado, UW, and UCLA make up three of your top four selections. How did WSU’s helmets sneak their way into the Number Two spot?
Jack: WSU has maybe the best logo in college football and I love the simplicity of it on their helmets, especially when the weird flat gray they have now used to be silver. They need to go back to that, full-time.
Jack: I get Arizona’s super clean helmets have their appeal, but doesn’t the fact they have the lowest prestige in the conference factor in at all?
Nick: It comes down to the separation of church and state, and in this instance, their lack of anything resembling a football program doesn’t play into my selection. Even through their struggles on the field, their helmets have continued to shine.
Jack: Cal and UCLA seem pretty similar to me, why do you rank Cal’s so high and UCLA’s so low?
Nick: While you may love gold on helmets, I absolutely despise it. UCLA’s helmets with the light blue lettering are by far my least favorite in the conference, the ones with the dark blue are noticeably better.
In regards to Cal, I like the intimidation factor of the dark blue and the yellow lettering pops creating a balanced color scheme. I’m not sure how they’re similar to you…Gold and dark blue and different colors.
Jack: Again, we’re back to the concept of which Oregon helmet are we ranking since they have so many? Is your assessment all of their options or the base green helmet with the yellow O?
Nick: This is always the dilemma when discussing Oregon’s on-field attire, and in this instance I went with the base green helmet with the yellow O. I really like the simplicity of the yellow and green combination. I also may be biased because these were my high school colors.
Jack: You had USC’s uniforms overall, with helmets factored in, at the top but they’re near the bottom of the Pac here, why so?
Nick: Ready for a metaphor? This is comparable to Eastern vs. Western medicine. Eastern medicine looks at the body as a whole and understands that the entire system works together. USC’s uniform is like the human body in that it works well together. Western medicine looks at individual body parts, or in this instance the helmet.
I guess I could have also just said that I don’t like the red color of the helmets.
Look for past and future list rankings on the Great Pac-12 Debates page.
—Recent Jack Follman Stories—
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Linebacker Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Defensive Line Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Offensive Line Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s 2021 Pac-12 WR/TE Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Offensive Backfield Unit Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 DB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 LB Rankings
- The Great Pac-12 Non-Conference Games Rankings Debate
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 DL Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 OL Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 TE Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 WR Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 RB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s Post-Spring 2021 Pac-12 QB Rankings
- Jack Follman’s 2021 Pac-12 Mock NBA Draft
- Jack Follman’s Early 2022 Top Pac-12 NFL Draft Prospects
- Jack Follman’s Final 2021 Big Board NFL Mock Draft
- Jack Follman’s Updated 2021 Big Board NFL Mock Draft
- Jack Follman’s 2021 Pac-12 Spring QB Battle Previews
- The Great Pac-12 Basketball Prestige Ranking Debate
- Jack Follman’s Best NFL Pac-12 Alumni Players for 2020-21
- The Great Pac-12 Best Football Weather Ranking Debate
- Jack Follman’s Updated Top 2021 Pac-12 NFL Prospects
- Jack Follman’s Early Pac-12 Power Rankings for 2021
- Jack Follman’s 2020 Pac-12 Football All-Freshman Teams
- Jack Follman’s Expanded 2020 All-Pac-12 Selections
- Jack Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Postseason)
- Jack Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 7)
- Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Underclassmen to Watch for the 2021 NFL Draft
- Jack Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 6)
- Jacks Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 5)
- Jacks Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 4)
- Jack Follman’s Updated 2020 NBA Big Board Mock Draft
- Jacks Follman’s Updated CFB Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 3)
- Jack Follman’s Top 10 Pac-12 Prospects for the 2020 NBA Draft
- Jacks Follman’s Updated College Football Top 25 (Pac-12 Week 2)
- Jacks Follman’s Preseason College Football Top 25
- Jack Follman’s 2010s Pac-12 All-Decade Football Teams
- Jack Follman’s 2020 Pac-12 Alumni NBA All-Star Team
- Jack Follman’s 2021 NFL Big Board First-Round Mock Draft
Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Linebacker Unit RankingsThe parity of this 2021 LB group makes it one of the most difficult to rank - June 12, 2021
Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Defensive Line Unit RankingsThe shortened 2020 COVID season wasn't kind to the the Conference DL groups - June 11, 2021
Jack Follman’s Pac-12 Offensive Line Unit RankingsUnlike other Conference units, the 2021 OL groups are both strong and deep - June 10, 2021